What is this drug used for?
• It is used to treat HIV infection.
• It is used to treat hepatitis B infection.
Frequently reported side effects of this drug
• Abdominal pain
• Trouble sleeping
• Loss of strength and energy
Other side effects of this drug: Talk with your doctor right away if you have any of these signs of:
• Liver problems like dark urine, fatigue, lack of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, light-colored stools, vomiting, or yellow skin.
• Kidney problems like unable to pass urine, blood in the urine, change in amount of urine passed, or weight gain.
• Lactic acidosis like fast breathing, fast heartbeat, abnormal heartbeat, vomiting, fatigue, shortness of breath, severe loss of strength and energy, severe dizziness, feeling cold, or muscle pain or cramps.
• Bone pain
• Muscle pain
• Muscle weakness
• Painful extremities
• Burning or numbness feeling
• Signs of a significant reaction like wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
Medication Safety Issues
High alert medication:
This medication is in a class the Institute for Safe Medication Practices (ISMP) includes among its list of drug classes that have a heightened risk of causing significant patient harm when used in error.
Storage and Stability
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions are permitted between 15°C and 30°C (59°F and 86°F). Dispense only in original container.
Includes data from both treatment-naive and treatment-experienced HIV patients and in chronic hepatitis B.
Cardiovascular: Chest pain
Central nervous system: Anxiety, depression, dizziness, fatigue, headache, insomnia, pain, peripheral neuropathy
Dermatologic: Diaphoresis, pruritus, skin rash (includes maculopapular, pustular, or vesiculobullous rash; pruritus; or urticaria)
Endocrine & metabolic: Glycosuria, hypercholesterolemia, hyperglycemia, increased serum triglycerides, lipodystrophy, weight loss
Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain, anorexia, diarrhea, dyspepsia, flatulence, increased serum amylase, nausea, vomiting
Hematologic & oncologic: Neutropenia
Hepatic: Increased serum alkaline phosphatase, increased serum ALT, increased serum AST, increased serum transaminases
Neuromuscular & skeletal: Arthralgia, back pain, decreased bone mineral density, increased creatine phosphokinase, myalgia, weakness
Renal: Increased serum creatinine, renal failure
Respiratory: Nasopharyngitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection
Rare but important or life-threatening: Angioedema, exacerbation of hepatitis B (following discontinuation), Fanconi’s syndrome, hepatitis, hypersensitivity reaction, hypokalemia, hypophosphatemia, immune reconstitution syndrome, increased gamma-glutamyl transferase, interstitial nephritis, lactic acidosis, myopathy, nephrogenic diabetes insipidus, nephrotoxicity, osteomalacia, pancreatitis, polyuria, proteinuria, proximal tubular nephropathy, renal insufficiency, renal tubular necrosis, rhabdomyolysis, severe hepatomegaly with steatosis