ta MOKS i fen
What is this drug used for?
• It is used to treat breast cancer.
• It is used to lower the chance of breast cancer in women with a higher chance of getting it. It may lower the chance of getting cancer in the other breast after one has cancer.
• It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
Frequently reported side effects of this drug
• Hot flashes
• Weight loss
• Trouble sleeping
• Weight gain
• Back pain
• Bone pain
• Muscle pain
• Joint pain
Other side effects of this drug: Talk with your doctor right away if you have any of these signs of:
• High calcium like weakness, confusion, fatigue, headache, nausea and vomiting, constipation, or bone pain.
• Urinary tract infection like blood in the urine, burning or painful urination, passing a lot of urine, fever, lower abdominal pain, or pelvic pain.
• Severe cerebrovascular disease like change in strength on one side is greater than the other, difficulty speaking or thinking, change in balance, or vision changes.
• Severe loss of strength and energy
• Swelling of arms or legs
• Burning or numbness feeling
• Pelvic pain or pressure
• Menstrual changes
• No menstrual periods
• Abnormal vaginal bleeding
• Vaginal discharge
• Vision changes
• Lump in breast
• Breast soreness or pain
• Decreased sex drive
• Sexual dysfunction
• Skin changes
• Severe headache
• Painful urination
• Blood clots like numbness or weakness on one side of the body; pain, redness, tenderness, warmth, or swelling in the arms or legs; change in color of an arm or leg; chest pain; shortness of breath; fast heartbeat; or coughing up blood.
• Liver problems like dark urine, fatigue, lack of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, light-colored stools, vomiting, or yellow skin.
• Signs of a significant reaction like wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Medication Safety Issues
Tamoxifen may be confused with pentoxifylline, raloxifene, Tambocor, tamsulosin, temazepam, toremifene
Storage and Stability
Oral solution: Store at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F); excursions permitted between 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F). Do not freeze or refrigerate. Protect from light. Discard opened bottle after 3 months.
Tablets: Store at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F). Protect from light. Avoid excessive heat.
Cardiovascular: Cerebrovascular accident, chest pain, deep vein thrombosis, edema, flushing, hypertension, ischemic heart disease, peripheral edema, vasodilation, venous thrombosis
Dermatologic: Alopecia, diaphoresis, pruritus vulvae, skin changes, skin rash
Endocrine & metabolic: Amenorrhea, fluid retention, hot flash, hypercalcemia, hypercholesterolemia, infrequent uterine bleeding, menstrual disease, ovarian cyst, weight gain, weight loss
Gastrointestinal: Abdominal cramps, abdominal pain, anorexia, cholestasis, constipation, diarrhea, dysgeusia, dyspepsia, nausea, nausea and vomiting
Genitourinary: Irregular menses, leukorrhea, mastalgia, urinary tract infection, vaginal discharge, vaginal dryness, vaginal hemorrhage, vaginitis, vulvovaginitis
Hematologic & oncologic: Anemia, breast neoplasm, lymphedema, neoplasm (second primary), thrombocytopenia, tumor flare (during treatment of metastatic breast cancer; generally resolves with continuation; includes increased lesion size and erythema)
Hepatic: Hepatic necrosis, hepatitis, increased serum aspartate aminotransferase, increased serum bilirubin, liver steatosis
Hypersensitivity: Hypersensitivity reaction
Infection: Infection, sepsis
Nervous system: Anxiety, depression, dizziness, fatigue, headache, insomnia, mood changes, pain, paresthesia, tumor pain (during treatment of metastatic breast cancer; generally resolves with continuation)
Neuromuscular & skeletal: Arthralgia, arthritis, arthropathy, asthenia, back pain, bone fracture, musculoskeletal pain, myalgia, ostealgia, osteoporosis
Renal: Increased serum creatinine
Respiratory: Bronchitis, cough, dyspnea, flu-like symptoms, pharyngitis, sinusitis, throat irritation (oral solution)
Rare: Hepatic neoplasm, superficial thrombophlebitis