Levodopa, Carbidopa and Entacapone Information
What is this drug used for?
• It is used to treat Parkinson’s disease.
Possible side effects
Levodopa, Carbidopa and Entacapone may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
• Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
• Constipation, diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up.
• Dry mouth.
• Trouble sleeping.
• Back pain.
Some side effects can be serious. If you experience any of these symptoms, call your doctor immediately or get emergency medical treatment:
• Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
• New or worse behavior or mood changes like depression or thoughts of suicide.
• Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
• Very bad dizziness or passing out.
• Feeling confused.
• Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
• Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
• Muscle pain or weakness, dark urine, or trouble passing urine.
• A skin lump or growth.
• Change in color or size of a mole.
• Strong urges that are hard to control (such as eating, gambling, sex, or spending money).
• Trouble controlling body movements that is new or worse.
• Chest pain or pressure.
• Shortness of breath.
• Fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or feeling very tired or weak.
• Some people have fallen asleep during activities like driving, eating, or talking. Some people did not feel sleepy and felt alert right before falling asleep. This has happened up to 1 year after this drug was started. If you fall asleep during activities, do not drive or do other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert while you take this drug. Call your doctor right away if this happens or you feel very sleepy.
Medication Safety Issues
Strengths listed in Stalevo brand names correspond to the levodopa component of the formulation only. All strengths of Stalevo contain a levodopa/carbidopa ratio of 4:1 plus entacapone 200 mg.
Storage and Stability
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F).
See individual agents.