What is this drug used for?
• It is used to treat diarrhea.
• It is used to prevent brain problems caused by very bad liver disease.
• It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
• It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
Frequently reported side effects of this drug
• Stuffy nose
• Sore throat
• Muscle spasm
• Joint pain
• Abdominal pain
Other side effects of this drug: Talk with your doctor right away if you have any of these signs of:
• Swelling of arms or legs
• Abdominal edema
• Severe loss of strength and energy
• Shortness of breath
• Clostridium difficile (C. diff)-associated diarrhea like abdominal pain or cramps, severe diarrhea or watery stools, or bloody stools.
• Signs of a significant reaction like wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Talk to your doctor if you have questions.
(rif AX i min)
Medication Safety Issues
RifAXIMin may be confused with rifAMPin
Storage and Stability
Store at 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F); excursions permitted to 15°C to 30°C (59°F to 86°F).
Cardiovascular: Peripheral edema
Central nervous system: Depression, dizziness, fatigue, headache
Dermatological: Pruritus, skin rash
Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain, nausea, pseudomembranous colitis
Hematologic & oncologic: Anemia
Hepatic: Ascites, increased serum ALT
Neuromuscular & skeletal: Arthralgia, increased creatine phosphokinase, muscle spasm
Respiratory: Dyspnea, epistaxis, nasopharyngitis
All indications: Rare but important or life-threatening: Anaphylaxis, Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea, exfoliative dermatitis, hypersensitivity reaction